Gateway Convention Center’s Enhanced Protocols in Response to COVID-19
We prioritize the health and safety of attendees, staff, and vendors. Our team is committed to upholding the highest standards of cleanliness throughout our facility. In light of changes due to COVID-19, we are closely monitoring government policy changes, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines, Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) guidelines, and will continue to make changes as necessary or appropriate to protocols and procedures.
The following guidelines follow a phased approach to reopening guided Governor Pritzker’s Executive Order 2020-38 which determines recommendations for hosting an event at Gateway Convention Center (GCC). Guidelines are subject to change in accordance to orders or recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the State of Illinois, and Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH).
The goal of the protocols outlined in this document is to minimize contact reducing the risk of virus spread among both staff and guests. The core set of principles that together prevent the spread of infections by respiratory transmission (including COVID-19) include:
1. Size Restrictions: GCC will comply by gathering size restrictions provided by the State of Illinois. As recommended by the CDC’s social distancing guidelines, guests shall be advised to practice social distancing by standing at least six feet away from people while standing in lines or moving around the facility. Where possible, guests will be encouraged to follow a one-way guest flow with marked entrances and exits.
2. Preventive Measures: A face covering (fabric or disposable) must always be worn by guests and staff, except when consuming food, beverage items, or checking identification. In addition, hand sanitizer dispensers will be placed at key attendee contact areas such as main entrances, reception area, common areas, function space, entrances spaces, and loading dock areas. Management will communicate to event organizers that they should maintain a log of guests to assist public health officials with contact tracing if necessary.
3. Health Screening: Our staff will conduct non-invasive temperature checks. Anyone displaying a temperature over 100.0°F or higher will be taken to a private area for a secondary temporal temperature screening. Attendees confirmed to have a temperature over 100.0°F will not be allowed entry to the facility. Management will communicate to event organizers that attendees should not visit the venue if they are currently having, or had symptoms recently, had a diagnosis of COVID-19, or had close contact with a known case. Upon arrival, all guests should be asked to complete a health screening questionnaire:
✓ Have you been tested for COVID-19?
✓ Are you awaiting results of a COVID-19 test?
✓ Do you have any symptoms of respiratory illness?
✓ Have you been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID or shown symptoms of COVID?
✓ Have you recently traveled to a major outbreak area of COVID?
4. Staff Training: Training will be provided to all staff regarding cleaning, physical distancing requirements, proper hygiene, the proper wearing and use of face coverings and gloves, and guest interaction protocols to ensure everyone's safety.
5. Overnight and Event Cleaning: The frequency of cleaning and sanitizing has been increased with an added dedicated cleaning team that emphasizes on frequent contact surface. Our facility uses cleaning products and protocols which meet EPA guidelines. GCC is working with vendors, distribution partners and suppliers to ensure an uninterrupted supply of these cleaning supplies and the necessary PPE.
6. Concessions Operations Guidelines:
✓ All employees will be wearing protective gloves at all times with frequent changes.
✓ All condiment tables, utensils, and food products will be distributed by our staff.
✓ Hand sanitizer stations will be added to all food and beverage locations.